Main responsibilities of BTP
- Development of policies for the telecommunication and post industry.
- Implementation and execution of task as established by the Minister of telecommunication.
- Preparation of the rules and regulation and laws for telecommunication and post for country St. Maarten.
- Execution of responsibilities and task according to the "landsverordening" telecommunication and post.
- Where necessary on instruction of the Council of Ministers, represent and defending the interest of country St. Maarten related to telecommunication and post; national, regionally and internationally.
- General advice to the minister and members of parliament.
- General advice and execution of responsibilities and task for government services and third parties related to the minister and members of parliament.
- Execution of other activities as instructed by the Minister of telecommunication.
- Execution of other activities in accordance with the “landsverordening”.
- In the area of Telecommunication:
- Issuing licenses for radio frequencies and telecommunication equipment and infrastructure.
- Managing of radio frequencies.
- Issuance of numbers and managing the number plan for St. Maarten.
- Issuance of approvals for test standards.
- Inspections and examination of telecommunication equipment and infra structure.
- Issuance of compliance certificates.
- Issuance of certificates and letters of authorization for telecommunication educational programs.
- Set guidelines to prevent and resolve network quality issues and complaints.
- Issuance of warnings, fines and attachments/ liens on equipment in case of non-compliance or violation with telecommunication require and regulations.
- Revoking of licenses.
- Issuance of certification and letters of authorization for specific maritime radio communication.
- Administration, issuance of invoices and collection of payments related to the telecommunication sector; including legal collection measures.
- In the area of Post:
- Issuance of licenses and permits according to article 13.1 "Postlandsverondering" 1998
- Administration, issuance of invoices and collection of payments related to the Post sector; including legal collection measures.
Who are we?Bureau Telecommunications and Post St. Maarten (BTP) is the independent regulatory authority for the Telecommunications and Post industry in St. Maarten.
BTP is responsible for the maintenance of a competitive environment in St. Maarten in the industries with which it is tasked to regulate.
BTP executes its tasks through consultations with industry participants and stakeholders, focused on attaining quality and affordable communications for all, working towards establishing an environment that support continuous growth and development within the industries. Read more